Mother’s Day is just around the corner. I am a Mum and can’t wait to be pampered on Sunday. However, since my mum and mother-in-law are in town this weekend, I am planning to bake something for the two special women in our lives.
I saw the Blueberry Oven Puff Cake on Not Quite Nigella’s blog (It’s one of my favourite food blogs, by the way!) and I couldn’t help but make it. It is so easy to do! I plan to make this again on Sunday
3/4 cup (100g) all purpose plain flour
3 tablespoons caster or superfine sugar
3/4 cup cold milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
45g/1.5 ozs butter
125g/4os punnet blueberries to serve
3 scoops of vanilla ice cream to serve
icing or confectioners sugar for dusting
You will also need a frying pan with an ovenproof handle. This quantity fits a 24cm/9.6 inch pan.
1. Preheat the oven to 200c/400F and place the fry pan inside the oven while preheating. Heat for 20 minutes. Place the flour and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine. In a jug, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla. Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture and add in the eggy milk mixture and whisk with a balloon whisk until smooth (I added it in two batches).
2. Carefully and with oven mitts (doubled up if you can), take the pan out of the oven and add the butter and swirl until melted. Pour in the batter and with the oven mitts on, place the pan back into the oven (be careful not to just grab the handle without the oven mitt as I did once as you will burn yourself!). Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and puffy.
3. Top the cake with blueberries, dust with icing sugar and then serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- The recipe says you need a frying pan with an oven proof handle. I didn’t have one so I just used one of my round baking pans and it worked for me.
- If you don’t have blueberries, you can use any berry in season really.